1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you get me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Place your trust in me - it is crucial for my wellbeing.
4. Do not be angry with me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment.
5. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have you!
6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I do not understand your words, I understand your tone of voice when you speak to me.
7. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.
8. Remember before you hit me, that I have teeth that could easily hurt you, but that I choose not to bite you because I love you.
9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, of I have been out too long, or my heart is getting old or weak.
10. Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I cannot bear to watch it", or "let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there, even my death. Remember, I love you.